These drawings show the three main stages of cartooning vehicles. A sketch, the inking and final colour.
These are the three main steps I take with each hotrod style custom car illustration cartoon drawing I do.
- First I do a loose sketch working to capture the main details.
- The second step is to ink the drawing and add the grayscale shading.
- The final step is to add the colour.
Other useful tips for drawing cartoon cars are:
- Use good reference images! It is important to be able to see all the details clearly for a good drawing.
- If your interested in vehicles, keep learning about how they are made and designed, as that information will help when it comes to adding details.
- If it's cartoon drawings you are doing, remember, it doesn't have to be exact or a perfect replica of a car, but get the main lines down of the vehicle and have fun with the details.
- Have fun!
- Share your art.
Hotrod cartoon artwork drawn with the iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Adobe Draw.
Artwork © Timothy Pronk
Like this hot rod cartoon style drawing?
If so, commission a hot rod cartoon style drawing of your transportation or one for any gearhead friend.